SIGNING IN WITH STEAM IS CURRENTLY DISABLED. PLEASE CREATE A TICKET IN OUR DISCORD IF YOU CANNOT LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT. ×

[HOW TO SURF] Tutorial Idea*

Delroy

So, I've been thinking about making a video on how to surf, for new players that covers an extensive explanation on the fundamental mechanics of surfing. I would intend on focusing on a comprehensive list of techniques that aren't based on opinion but rather, imperative information that can make a new player go from knowing nothing, to being able to pass specific obstacles with understanding. Here is a preview I've uploaded:
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/IORzgaTFFto[/video]
However, in the making of this video I've noticed that it's a struggle too 'noob' myself down to a point of simulating mistakes as I've thrown my old bad habits out the window. So on top of my plan to make a tutorial on how to surf, I'm thinking about showing common mistakes on certain obstacles too. I've watched a few videos top paging YouTube and neither of them cover a lot of the Do's and Don't's of surfing and assume knowledge. This is one I've found most helpful and still doesn't address common mistakes and misconceptions. Others were misleading and opinionated to a detrimental state.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD4fX4HVq7A[/video]
If this idea is liked across the board, then I will consider doing tutorial like videos on many of the overplayed maps and some of my personal favorite maps and if this even becomes more enjoyable than I considered in the first place I may as well make it a complete series of all maps I complete. 

I'm in no way, among the gods of surf. But what I am, is able to explain and encourage in a way that when listened to, clarity is given. I've been surfing for just over 5 weeks now, and I've accumulated a total of 1 day and 6 hours in game, session time. So I consider myself extremely new. However, I've got a way of learning that allows me to rip apart mechanics and analyse 'what needs to get done, to get good'. I've asked many competent surfers how to surf, certain obstacles by requesting to spectate them as they explain it, and also was lucky enough to have some of the best surfers on our servers to even spectate me to correctly contrast my mistakes with the correct movements required to pass certain obstacles and now I've reached competent status and would love to share with you insight and understanding so you, yourself, can make it to where I am today, and better!

I've been spending most of my time teaching new players how to surf watching instant progression over the duration of their first time connecting to the time they leave, some even completing surf_aircontrol on their first day. That's truly incredible. 

76561198252991125.png126743_201.png

Good idea, it has been done before but I have never seen in done in a way that is actually helpful. For example, it's simple and easy enough to share with everyone that in order to surf you must press the A key when surfing on the right hand side of a ramp and vise versa on the left, but these are so basic that it doesn't allow for much growth. If you were to expand that basic knowledge into something like you have in the preview of air strafing.

What I think is missing from a lot of these tutorials is something that isn't so basic Coco the gorilla could learn. Include things like, lower your mouse sensitivity and start using turn binds early on. Making sure all your movements are curves, and smooth curves. The surf-wide joke of being smooth. Things that aren't hard to conceive but are vitally important to successfully surfing. For example; when I first started to surf years ago, I never was taught, told or knew that surfing on a curve, you actually have to use the opposite strafe key in order to stay at the same level you desired and I for the longest time simply avoided and skipped those ramps. Although, there are a few tutorials now that explain simple things like that.

If you end up making a series out of it, make sure you cover basic principles of surfing but touch on more advanced things for those who may out grow the typical tutorial of "Press A then on right hand side ramp, D on left."

Ramblings over, dinner is here!

Thanks for the feedback! I understand completely what you mean! The amounts of time I was told to flick while learning was ridiculous. Frustrating after finding out that flicking was actually detrimental. Now I know some people might still say 'Oh but sometimes flicking is important' I think they mean turning fast into a ramp in order to get height. Because what I understand is that word is more commonly associated with AWPing across the CSGO community, and its meaning doesn't at all change in surfing, and doing what you do to luckily shoot someone with an awp by erratic movement of the mouse only kills your velocity and doesn't healthily assist you at all.

I want to touch on that as well, comparisons between obstacles where people claim flicking helps and proving that it's not necessary at all.

76561198252991125.png126743_201.png

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYnF4cC5rr8[/video]
Feelsgoodman

The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. 

• 3 weeks later...

I love this idea everytime someone asks me how to surf and airstraif i always send them to your videos. Keep them coming Delroy they are great.

• 5 months later...
On 2016-12-7 at 0:43 PM, Delroy said:

So, I've been thinking about making a video on how to surf, for new players that covers an extensive explanation on the fundamental mechanics of surfing. I would intend on focusing on a comprehensive list of techniques that aren't based on opinion but rather, imperative information that can make a new player go from knowing nothing, to being able to pass specific obstacles with understanding. Here is a preview I've uploaded:
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/IORzgaTFFto[/video]
However, in the making of this video I've noticed that it's a struggle too 'noob' myself down to a point of simulating mistakes as I've thrown my old bad habits out the window. So on top of my plan to make a tutorial on how to surf, I'm thinking about showing common mistakes on certain obstacles too. I've watched a few videos top paging YouTube and neither of them cover a lot of the Do's and Don't's of surfing and assume knowledge. This is one I've found most helpful and still doesn't address common mistakes and misconceptions. Others were misleading and opinionated to a detrimental state.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD4fX4HVq7A[/video]
If this idea is liked across the board, then I will consider doing tutorial like videos on many of the overplayed maps and some of my personal favorite maps and if this even becomes more enjoyable than I considered in the first place I may as well make it a complete series of all maps I complete. 

I'm in no way, among the gods of surf. But what I am, is able to explain and encourage in a way that when listened to, clarity is given. I've been surfing for just over 5 weeks now, and I've accumulated a total of 1 day and 6 hours in game, session time. So I consider myself extremely new. However, I've got a way of learning that allows me to rip apart mechanics and analyse 'what needs to get done, to get good'. I've asked many competent surfers how to surf, certain obstacles by requesting to spectate them as they explain it, and also was lucky enough to have some of the best surfers on our servers to even spectate me to correctly contrast my mistakes with the correct movements required to pass certain obstacles and now I've reached competent status and would love to share with you insight and understanding so you, yourself, can make it to where I am today, and better!

I've been spending most of my time teaching new players how to surf watching instant progression over the duration of their first time connecting to the time they leave, some even completing surf_aircontrol on their first day. That's truly incredible. 

thank you very much <3

• My Name is Tito locked this topic